Connect with us
Thursday,24-September-2020

Crime

IMA writes to PM as 196 doctors succumb to Covid in India

Published

on

Disturbed by incidences of doctors not receiving proper beds and treatments after getting infected with Covid-19, the Indian Medical Association has written a letter to Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Saturday to draw his attention.

The association said that such incidents would create a demoralising effect on the healthcare community, who are also at the frontline of the corona war.

“Disturbing reports have appeared about doctors and their families not getting beds for admission and also lack of drugs in many cases. It is pertinent to draw your attention to the demoralising effect it will have on our healthcare community,” the letter read.

The association demanded adequate care for doctors and their families. “We need his (PM) attention and indulgence because of the rising concerns of the safety of doctors during this Covid crisis. An increasing number of doctors are getting infected and losing lives due to Covid,” said R.V. Asokan, secretary-general of IMA.

Besides, the association also demanded the extension of state-sponsored medical and life insurance facilities for doctors in all sectors.

As per the IMA, 40 per cent of the doctors who succumbed to the pandemic are general practitioners who work in private sectors or independently. “It is pertinent to mention Covid does not differentiate between the Government and the private sector.

“Of all the fatalities we recorded, the substantial number of them are General Practitioners. A significant proportion of the population consults them for fever and related symptoms. They remain the first point of contact and care. They also happen to spend quality time in consultation and practising clinical medicine,” Asokan said.

The data shared by the IMA revealed that 87 per cent of the doctors who died due to COVID were above 50 years of age. “A huge chunk of them were already in vulnerable group. Yet, they did not deter from their duty to treat everyone despite facing the risk to their lives,” Asokan added.

The IMA also said that the highest number of casualties was recorded from Tamil Nadu, where 43 doctors died due to the Coronavirus, followed by Maharashtra and Gujarat which recorded 23 deaths each.

Crime

Delhi riots: Umar Khalid sent to judicial custody till October 22

Published

on

Umar-Khalid

A Delhi court on Thursday sent former Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) student Umar Khalid, arrested in connection with a case related to the widespread violence which broke out in Delhi’s North-East area in February, to judicial custody till October 22.

Delhi Police’s Special Cell had arrested him on September 13 night under the stringent Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, following which he was sent to 10 days police custody. He was produced before Additional Session Judge Amitabh Rawat of Karkardooma court via video-conferencing earlier in the day at the end of the remand period.

On the request of Umar Khalid and his counsel Trideep Pais, the court allowed him to meet his parents before going to jail and directed his counsel to move an application for providing him spectacles. Advocate Pais will also move an application requesting the court to provide him security.

“In the last 10 days in police custody, I have not signed any paper or statement,” Umar Khalid informed the court during the video conferencing.

He is accused of hatching a criminal conspiracy to cause communal unrest by inciting people protesting against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act and National Register of Citizens.

On March 6, the FIR was registered against Khalid and one Danish based on information provided by an informer to Crime Branch Sub-Inspector Arvind Kumar.

According to FIR number 59/2020, complainant Sub-Inspector Arvind Kumar said that riots are a premeditated conspiracy. “The conspiracy was hatched by Umar Khalid and two others associated with different organisations,” the FIR further stated.

Umar Khalid gave provocative speeches at two different places and appealed people to block the roads during US President Donald Trump’s visit, to spread propaganda at the international level about how minorities in India were being persecuted, the FIR added.

Umar Khalid and his associates brought women and children to the road at several places in a bid to hatch conspiracy to incite riots, the Sub-Inspector alleged, adding that firearms, petrol bombs, acid bottles, and stones were stored at homes in Kardampuri, Jafrabad, Chand Bagh, Gokulpuri, Shiv Vihar and nearby areas as part of the conspiracy.

Explaining the conspiracy, the complainant said that co-accused Danish was given the responsibility of gathering people from different places to take part in the violence. “On February 23, women and children were made to block the roads under the Jafrabad Metro Station to create tension amidst the neighbourhood people in a bid to give rise to riots,” it added.

Besides this, Khalid has also been named in charge sheets filed in various cases of the riots. Communal violence broke out in North-East Delhi on February 24 after clashes between the citizenship law supporters and protesters spiralled out of control leaving at least 53 people dead and around 200 injured.

Continue Reading

Crime

Terrorist killed in encounter in South Kashmir

Published

on

Indian-soldiers

One terrorist was killed in an encounter that broke out between terrorists and security forces in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Thursday, officials said.

The firefight started in Pulwama’s Maghama after security forces cordoned off the area and launched a search operation on the basis of a specific information about the presence of terrorists.

As the security forces zeroed in on the spot where the terrorists were hiding they came under a heavy volume of fire that triggered the encounter.

“Encounter has started in Maghama area of Tral, Awantipora. One unidentified terrorist killed. Police and security forces are on the job,” police said.

Continue Reading

Crime

Madras High Court grants 30 day parole to Rajiv Gandhi’s assassin Perarivalan

Published

on

AG-Perarivalan

The Madras High Court on Thursday granted 30-day parole to Perarivalan, an assassin of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.

The parole was granted on a petition filed by Perarivalan’s mother Arputhammal citing his health condition and also at a time when inmates at Puzhal jail have been testing positive for the coronavirus.

Seven people were convicted in the killing of Rajiv Gandhi — A.G. Perarivalan, V. Sriharan alias Murugan, T. Suthendraraja alias Santhan, Jayakumar, Robert Payas, Ravichandran and Nalini Sriharan, wife of V. Sriharan.

All the convicts are in prison since 1991, the year a woman LTTE suicide bomber blew up herself, killing Rajiv Gandhi on the spot at an election rally near Chennai.

The Tamil Nadu government has passed a resolution for the release of all the convicts, but the Governor is yet to take a decision on the matter.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending