Connect with us
Tuesday,07-December-2021

National

How Ravi Shastri made Mohammed Siraj stay back in Aus after his father’s death

Published

on

Ravi-Shastri

India speedster Mohammed Siraj has revealed that a few words of support and encouragement from India team coach Ravi Shastri in Australia last year made him change his mind on returning to India after his father’s death. One crucial Shastri line to Siraj was: “You play the Test match. You will get five wickets as your father’s blessings will be with you.”

Siraj said captain Virat Kohli, also his skipper at the Royal Challengers Bangalore, and bowling coach Bharat Arun besides Shastri, supported him after his father’s death on November 20.

“Ravi sir came to me and told [me] tu test match khel, dekh tereko paanch wickets milega. Tere Daddy ka dua teray saath hoga (you play the Test match; you will get five wickets. Your father’s blessings will be with you),” Siraj told ABP news.

“Match ke baad Ravi sir ne bahut khush hokar bola: tujhe bola tha na paanch wickets milega (I told that you will get five wickets). I became very confident after my coaches encouraged me in such a way,” he said.

When Siraj, who was in the Test squad, received the news of his father’s death on November 20 he was apparently indecisive. The four-Test series was to begin on December 17, and there was the crucial question of quarantine due to Covid-19.

However, words of motivation from Kohli, Arun, and Shastri, made Siraj stay back in Australia.

Siraj bagged five wickets for 77 runs on his Test debut in the second Test in Melbourne. And in his third match, he captured a five-wicket innings haul in Australia’s second innings in the fourth and final Test in Brisbane. India won that match and registered a historic 2-1 series triumph.

In the early hours of Thursday, Siraj, 27, left for England with the Indian team for the World Test Championship final against New Zealand and a five-Test series against host England.

Siraj has so far captured 16 wickets in five Tests and three wickets in three T20 Internationals.

National

Eighth season of Pro Kabaddi League to begin from December 22 in Bengaluru

Published

on

By

The organisers of the Pro Kabaddi League announced on Wednesday that the eighth edition of the league will be held here from December 22. It also said that the entire season will be conducted without the presence of spectators for the matches.

Mashal Sports, the organisers of the league, have scheduled triple headers on the first four days. The season will kick-start with U Mumba facing Bengaluru Bulls. The second match will be the league’s ‘Southern Derby’ as Telugu Titans lock horns with Tamil Thalaivas while UP Yoddha will be squaring off against the defending champions Bengal Warriors in the last match of the opening day.

The triple-headers will be only-Saturday affairs throughout the whole duration of the league, starting at 7:30pm, 8:30pm and 9:30pm respectively. The schedule of the first half of season 8 has come while the organisers say that the second half of the league’s schedule will come in mid-January next year.

Keeping the health and safety of players in mind amid COVID times, the organisers have converted the entire venue at Sheraton Grand Bengaluru Whitefield Hotel & Convention Centre into an integrated and secure bio-bubble.

All 12 teams will be staying and playing at the same venue in order to follow and adhering to the safety protocols set by the authorities.

Continue Reading

National

Laxman finally agrees to head NCA: Sources

Published

on

By

VVS-Laxman

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has managed to convince former cricketer VVS Laxman to head the National Cricket Academy (NCA) in Bengaluru, sources said.

After Rahul Dravid took over the post of Indian team’s head coach, there were reports that Laxman might be appointed as a new head of NCA.

However, later it was said that the former batter “is uninterested”. But now he is ready to take the charge after the BCCI officials held a meeting with him in Dubai.

“There were some issues and it has been sorted out. The board wanted him to take the reponsibility and he is the right man to come in place of Dravid,” sources said.

It is also learnt that Laxman has also agreed to leave the lucrative commentary career for the NCA.

“Laxman is currently mentor of IPL team Sunrisers Hyderabad, apart from being a commentator and cricket analyst. And he will leave it all for NCA now.”

Continue Reading

National

Everyone had written us off; we are here to rectify that: Finch

Published

on

By

Australian captain Aaron Finch has conceded that not winning the ICC T20 World Cup title so far has been a sore point with the Kangaroos and the final against New Zealand later on Sunday is the “best opportunity to rectify that”.

The closest Australia came to winning the T20 World Cup was during the 2010 edition held in the West Indies, where they lost to England by seven wickets.

“It’s one that’s eluded us in the past, and the fact that we are here in the final gives us the best opportunity to rectify that. Yeah, I think it will be a great game against New Zealand. They are a great side and they have been in all the finals over the last six years. Looking forward to it,” said Finch ahead of the title clash.

Finch added that despite critics writing his team off, the way the players had gone about their business was heartening.

“Everyone had written us off but we had a lot of confidence within. We’re really confident the way that we were preparing, the way that our strategy was coming together. Yeah, I think it hasn’t defied expectation. I think we came here with a really clear plan to win the tournament, and we still feel as though we’ve got the squad to do that.

“Well, I think the spirit among the team… and that’s been really impressive the way we’ve gone about our business. Everyone has prepared really well. Everyone has had a really defining match or match-defining performance at some point. The guys are really up and about for the final,” said Finch.

Finch added that batting stalwart Steve Smith’s form wasn’t a concern despite the fact that the former skipper has been unimpressive so far in the tournament, and the team management has drawn flak for persisting with him.

“No, not concerned one bit about his (Smith) form. He’s a world-class player and he’s someone in big games has showed how valuable he is. He’s been hitting the ball as well as I’ve seen for a long time, so no, no concerns there whatsoever.”

Continue Reading

Trending