Connect with us
Tuesday,30-November-2021

National News

Haryana CM launches four schemes to mark Guru Ravidas anniversary

Published

on

Manohar-Lal-Khattar

Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar on Saturday launched four welfare schemes at a state-level programme organised here to mark the 644th birth anniversary of Guru Ravidas.

The district-level virtual programmes were also organised in all 22 districts.

Khattar launched Mukhyamantri Antyodaya Parivar Utthan Yojana under which selection of one lakh poor families residing in the state who are having lowest family income would be done through Parivar Pehchan Patra portal.

So far 65 lakh families have been identified, he said.

“Every possible effort will be made to increase the family income of such families’ to at least Rs 8,000 to Rs 9,000 per month. For this, the government will emphasise on the skill development, besides providing employment opportunities and financial assistance,” he said.

On the occasion the Chief Minister announced to increase a financial assistance under the Dr B.R. Ambedkar Awas Navinikarn Yojna to Rs 80,000 from Rs 50,000 for the repair of houses belonging to the Scheduled Caste families living below poverty line (BPL).

He also announced that the BPL families belonging to any category will be able to avail the benefits of Dr B.R. Ambedkar Awas Navinikarn Yojna.

Earlier, this scheme was limited to the BPL families belonging to the Scheduled Caste. He said from April 1 the annual income slab of the BPL families would be increased from Rs 1.20 lakh to Rs 1.80 lakh.

Also the legal aid given to the Scheduled Caste has been increased to Rs 21,000 from Rs 11, 000.

Khattar said in a bid to spread the message of social harmony, brotherhood, and removing the evils of casteism, a sum of Rs 11 crore has been allocated under the Sant Mahapurush Vichar Samman and Prasaar Yojana.

Under this scheme, a financial assistance from Rs 50,000 to Rs 1 lakh will be provided to the social and religious organisations for holding programmes on the birth anniversaries of the saint at the block and gram levels.

National News

Admiral R. Hari Kumar takes over as Indian Navy chief

Published

on

By

Admiral R. Hari Kumar, a Gunnery specialist and an advocate of integrated theatre commands, took over as Chief of the Naval Staff. He succeeds Admiral Karambir Singh, who retires upon superannuation, after an illustrious career, spanning over forty one years, in the Indian Navy.

Admiral Kumar is an alumnus of the prestigious National Defence Academy, Khadakwasla.

“It is a matter of great honour for me to take charge as the Chief of Naval Staff. Indian Navy’s focus is on our national maritime interests and challenges,” Admiral Kumar said as he received the Guard of Honour at the South Block in the national capital.

He was commissioned into the Indian Navy on January 1, 1983. In his career spanning over 38 years, he has commanded Coast Guard Ship C-01, IN Ships Nishank, Kora, Ranvir and the Aircraft Carrier INS Viraat.

A Gunnery specialist, he has held several key appointments, including Fleet Operations Officer and Fleet Gunnery Officer of Western Fleet, Executive Officer of INS Vipul, Gunnery Officer of INS Ranjit, commissioning GO of INS Kuthar and commissioning crew of INS Ranvir.

His shore appointments include Command Gunnery Officer at HQWNC, Naval Advisor to Government of Seychelles, UN Mission in Somalia (UNOSOM II) at Mogadishu and Training Commander, INS Dronacharya.

As a Flag Officer, he has served as Commandant of the Naval War College at Goa, Flag Officer Sea Training, Flag Officer Commanding Western Fleet, Chief of Staff, Western Naval Command, Controller Personnel Services and Chief of Personnel at Naval Headquarters.

He has also served as the Chief of Integrated Defence Staff to the Chairman Chiefs Of Staff Committee at the critical junction during the creation of the institution of Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) and Department of Military Affairs (DMA).

He was the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, WNC at Mumbai, prior to taking over as the Chief of the Naval Staff on November 30, 2021.

Continue Reading

Maharashtra

Omicron concerns: Mumbai, Pune, Nashik postpone schools’ reopening

Published

on

By

Amid concerns of the Covid-19 variant Omicron, the reopening of schools from Class 1 to 7 has been postponed by 10-15 days in Mumbai, Pune and Nashik, officials said here on Tuesday.

The BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation Commissioner I.S. Chahal and Pune Municipal Corporation Mayor Murlidhar have said that schools in the two cities — both among the worst-hit in the Covid-19 two waves in 2020 and 2021 — will now reopen from December 15.

Similarly, the Nashik Municipal Corporation, which was also among the badly-hit cities in the past two years of the pandemic, has also postponed the schools reopening plan to December 10.

However, all schools in the rest of Maharashtra are likely to reopen from December 1, for Class 1 to 5 in the rural areas and 1-7 in the urban areas with full Covid protocols, as announced earlier by School Education Minister Prof. Varsha E. Gaikwad.

Taking precautions, the BMC is currently tracking all passengers who have arrived in the city from the 12 Omicron-hit nations since November 10 to detect if any of them are infected by the new strain.

The state government has also sought information on all passengers landing at the three international airports in the state in Mumbai, Pune and Nagpur, besides those arriving from other states, by flights originating from the 12 nations.

The BMC has already announced that a 14-day institutional quarantine regime will be compulsory for all such passengers and home isolation will not be permitted under any circumstances.

The state, major cities and district health authorities are gearing up to face the challenge of Omicron by readying hospitals, beds, ICUs, liquid medical oxygen stocks, medicines, doctors, para-medical and non-medical staff, and other health infrastructure to cater to a possible patient rush in the coming weeks, even as Covid-19 vaccination drive has gained momentum.

Continue Reading

National News

No case of Omicron variant detected in India so far: Mandaviya

Published

on

By

No case of Omicron variant has been detected in the country so far, Union Health Minister Mansukh Mandaviya told the Rajya Sabha on Tuesday.

He was responding to a question during the Question Hour.

The Covid situation in the country, he said, is under control but measures are being taking to pervent it from spreading further. A total of 124 crore vaccination doses have been administered to the eligible population till date.

Earlier in the morning, the Union Health Secretary chaired a review meeting with the states and UTs on the emergence of the new Covid variant. The states were advised to ramp up
testing for early identification of positive cases and its management.

Also, the Centre has directed to extend the ‘Har Ghar Dastak’ campaign till December 31 with focus on 100 per cent first dose and completing backlog of second dose vaccinations.

The states were also asked to focus on timely testing for early identification and ensuring adequate health infrastructure.

On Monday, the World Health Organisation said that the overall global risk related to the new Omicron has been assessed as “very high”.

Omicron, labelled as ‘variant of concern’ is a highly divergent variant with a high number of mutations, including 26-32 in the spike, some of which are concerning and may be associated with immune escape potential and higher transmissibility. However, there are still considerable uncertainties, the global health body said.

“Given mutations that may confer immune escape potential and possibly transmissibility advantage, the likelihood of potential further spread of Omicron at the global level is high”, it said.

Continue Reading

Trending