Connect with us
Tuesday,03-August-2021

Crime

Gujarat narco-terrorism case: NIA files supplementary charge sheet against smuggler

Published

on

National-Investigation-Agency

The National Investigation Agency (NIA) on Monday filed a supplementary charge sheet against a narcotics smuggler in connection with its probe into the Gujarat narco-terrorism case.

An NIA spokesperson said that the anti-terror probe agency has filed a supplementary charge sheet in the NIA Special Court in Ahmedabad against Indresh Kumar Nishad in the case of seizure of narcotics at Salaya, Gujarat.

The official said the matter relates to a case registered by the ATS Gujarat on August 12, 2018 relating to arrest of Aziz Abdul Bhagad and seizure of 4.949 kgs of Heroin worth approximately Rs. 14.84 lakh from his possession.

During the course of investigation seven more accused — Rafik Adam Sumra, Nazir Ahmad, Arshad Abdul Razak Sota, Manzoor Ahmad, Razak Adam Sumra, Karim Mohammad Siraj and Sunil Vithal Barmase — were arrested.

The NIA took over the probe on July 2 last year and had earlier filed a charge sheet against eight persons in the case under various sections of NDPS and the UA(P) Act.

The official said that during the probe it was revealed that the arrested accused Arshad Abdul Razak Sota and two absconding Pakistani Nationals named Hajisaab and Nabi Baksh had entered into a conspiracy in Dubai to smuggle 500 Kgs of Heroin from Pakistan to Gujarat, India, by sea route.

“The heroin was brought by Pakistani nationals in a Pakistani fishing vessel and was delivered in the Indian territorial waters, about 7-8 miles from Jakhau Port in Gujarat’s Kutch to an Indian vessel named “Nagani Mustafa” belonging to Aziz Abdul Bhagad and into another boat.

“Aziz Abdul Bhagad had pilfered 5 Kg of the heroin from the consignment and concealed it in a pit near Sadosala village in Gujarat,” the official said, adding that further probe revealed that 300 Kgs of the narcotic drugs consignment, concealed in sacks of cumin and suva, was transported through Akshar Transport to Amritsar in Punjab by Nazir Ahmad, Manzoor Ahmad, both residents of J&K and wanted accused Simranjit Singh Sandhu.

The official said that the last consignment of 200 kg of heroin was delivered by Razak Adam Sumra to Karim Mohammad Siraj and Sunil Vithal Barmase, who further delivered it to Indresh Kumar Nishad in Gandhidham.

“The consignment was then loaded and concealed between the wooden panels in the truck of Indresh Kumar Nishad who further delivered the same to aides of Simranjit Singh Sandhu at Amritsar in Punjab. Indresh Kumar Nishad was arrested by NIA in November 2020 for his role in the crime,” the official added.

Crime

Anil Deshmukh once again skips ED summons

Published

on

Anil-Deshmukh

Former Maharashtra Home Minister and senior Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leader Anil Deshmukh, who is being probed in an alleged money laundering case, skipped the Enforcement Directorate (ED) summons for questioning once again on Monday.

“Deshmukh has skipped summons and has sent a two-page letter to the agency through his advocate,” an ED official related to the probe told IANS.

This is for the third time Deshmukh has skipped ED summons in connection with the case. The official said the financial probe agency had sent fresh summons to Deshmukh and his son Hrishikesh Deshmukh on Friday asking them to join the probe with the agency on Monday.

On Friday, the Supreme Court did not grant any protection from arrest to Deshmukh on his plea seeking protection from any “coercive action” in the money laundering case registered against him by the ED and scheduled the matter for hearing on August 3.

Deshmukh, who had skipped the previous summonses by the agency, had, in the plea to the top court, challenged these summonses and sought protection for both himself and his son.

Deshmukh has been accused of extortion from a bunch of Mumbai orchestra bars and money laundering, and the matter is being probed by the ED.

It has been alleged that Rs 4.7 crore was collected as “extortion” from the orchestra bars by the now-dismissed Mumbai police officer Sachin Waze allegedly on Deshmukh’s instructions.

Later, this amount was transferred to Deshmukh’s Nagpur-based educational trust by his son, Hrishikesh.

According to the allegation, the transaction was routed via two hawala operators and was showed as a “donation”.

The 71-year-old NCP leader is the president of the trust and his two sons, Salil and Hrishikesh, are trustees.

On May 11, a case was registered against the former minister and on June 25, the ED raided Deshmukh’s residences in Nagpur, Mumbai, and three other places.

In April, the CBI had conducted raids at four premises of Deshmukh after registering an FIR against him in connection with the case.

Param Bir Singh, former Commissioner of Mumbai Police, in his letter to Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray, alleged that Deshmukh had indulged in “malpractices” and asked Waze to collect Rs 100 crore every month.

Earlier this week, the top court had adjourned the matter for a hearing on Friday and asked Deshmukh’s legal counsel to provide a copy of the plea to the ED and the Maharashtra government.

The ED had earlier arrested Deshmukh’s personal secretary Sanjeev Palande and personal assistant Kundan Shinde after carrying out raids against them and the NCP leader in Mumbai and Nagpur.

Continue Reading

Bollywood

Shilpa Shetty Kundra: We don’t deserve a media trial

Published

on

By

media-trial

Actress Shilpa Shetty Kundra took to social media on Monday to issue a statement, saying she and her family do not deserve a media trial.

Shilpa’s statement comes at a time when her husband, businessman Raj Kundra has been granted judicial custody till August 10 in a case pertaining to alleged production and distribution of porn content.

The actress said she will not comment on the case as it is subjudice and also requested the media for some privacy saying the past few days have been challenging for her “on every front”.

Shilpa shared her statement on Instagram on Monday, which reads: “Yes! The past few days have been challenging, on every front. There have been a lot of rumours and accusations. A lot of unwarranted aspersions on me cast by the media and (not so) well wishers as well. A lot of trolling/questions posed…not only to me but also to my family.”

“MY STAND…I HAVE NOT COMMENTED YET and will continue to refrain from doing so on this case as it is subjudice, so please stop attributing false quotes on my behalf. Reiterating my philosophy of, as a celebrity ‘Never complain, never explain’. All I will say is, as it’s an ongoing investigation, I have full faith in the Mumbai Police & the Indian judiciary,” she added.

“As a family, we are taking recourse to all our available legal remedies. But, till then I humbly request you – especially as a MOTHER – to respect our privacy for my children’s sake and request you to refrain from commenting on half-baked information without verifying the veracity of the same,” Shilpa further wrote.

“I am a proud law-abiding Indian citizen and a hardworking professional for the last 29 years. People have put their faith in ME & I’ve never let anyone down. So, most importantly, I request you to respect my family’s and ‘my right’ to privacy in these times. We don’t deserve a media trial. Please let the law take its course. Satyamev Jayate!” she concluded.

Shilpa Shetty Kundra’s statement talking about her “right to privacy” comes just a few days after the Bombay High Court reportedly refused to restrict media and social media platforms from publishing reports which talk about her. The court reportedly told the Bollywood actress that she has chosen a public life.

Continue Reading

Crime

41,134 new Covid cases, 424 deaths in India in 24 hrs

Published

on

coronavirus

India on Monday reported 41,134 fresh Covid-19 cases in the last 24 hours with 424 deaths, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare data showed.

India is registering less than 50,000 daily new cases for 36 continuous days. However, the country has registered marginal decline in fresh Covid cases than Sunday.

On Sunday, India had recorded 41,831 fresh cases of Covid-19. With 424 more Covid fatalities, India’s cumulative death toll now stands at 4,24,773.

India’s active caseload has crossed the four lakh mark and stands at 4,13,718. India’s recovery rate currently stands at 97.35 per cent, however, the active cases constitute 1.31 per cent of the total cases. The weekly positivity rate remains below 5 per cent and is currently at 2.30 per cent. The daily positivity rate continues to remain below 5 per cent for 55 continuous days and currently stands at 2.81 per cent.

The government has advised the states to restrict the gatherings in the districts reporting over 10 per cent positivity rate.

According to the government data, a total of 36,946 patients were discharged from hospitals and health centres in the last 24 hours, taking the total number of cured to 3,08,57,467 to date as the virus continues to infect less than one lakh people for the last 54 days.

The Health Ministry data said that a total of 17,06,598 Covid vaccine doses were administered in the last 24 hrs taking total jab count to 47,22,23,639 so far.

In a tweet, Health Ministry on Sunday said that India had achieved landmark in vaccination drive against the Covid pandemic and has successfully jabbed over 47 crore people across the country.

The total number of samples tested so far has reached 46.96 crores as on Aug 2.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending