Connect with us


Curfew relaxed in Dibrugarh, flag march continues in Guwahati




An indefinite curfew which was imposed in Assam’s Dibrugarh municipal area, was relaxed for five hours on Friday, while the Army and security forces have continued flag marches in Guwahati city, a day after two persons were killed during the violent anti-Citizenship (Amendment) Bill (CAB), 2019 protests.

Sources said that the curfew in the Dibrugarh municipal area has been relaxed from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.

There were no reports of further violence from Guwahati where cultural personalities and civil society members were on fast for 10 hours following a call given by the All Assam Students Union, which is leading the protests.

On Thursday evening, the Assam government had imposed night curfew in Jorhat, Golaghat, Tinsukia and Charaideo districts and imposed fresh curfew in Assam’s Tezpur and Dhekiajuli towns.

On Thursday, thousands of people defied the curfew and took to the streets as the raging agitation saw the house of an MLA and a Circle Officer being set ablaze, while the government removed two key police officers.

The two protestors with bullet wounds were taken to the Guwahati Medical College and Hospital, where one was declared dead before the other succumbed while being treated. At least 11 others were injured during the protests.

The authorities also extended the suspension on Internet services for another 48 hours. Most airlines have also cancelled flights to and from Dibrugarh and Guwahati, and train movement was halted.

In an appeal to the people, Chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal called for maintaining peace and calm.

As per the Bill, members of Hindu, Sikh, Buddhist, Jain, Parsi and Christian communities who have come from Pakistan, Bangladesh and Afghanistan till December 31, 2014 and facing religious persecution there will not be treated as illegal immigrants but given Indian citizenship.

The legislation was passed by the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday and by the Lok Sabha in a midnight sitting little past Monday.

It got President Ram Nath Kovind’s nod on Thutsday night.


Three Mumbai jewellery shop heist accused held in Lucknow




In a major breakthrough, a joint team of the Uttar Pradesh Police’s Special Task Force and Mumbai Police have arrested three persons, accused of committing daylight robbery in a Mumbai jewellery showroom.

The three, arrested on Wednesday from Lucknow, have been identified as Vinay Kumar, Dinesh Nishad and Shailendra Kumar. All three belong to different districts in the state.

The trio were arrested from Dewa road in Chinhat.

ADG, STF Amitabh Yash said that for several days, the gang was planning criminal incidents in eastern Uttar Pradesh.

The Mumbai Police had sought the state police’s help in the robbery of S. Kumar Gold and Diamond Shop located at Mira Road, Mumbai. The robbery place on January 8.

It was found in the investigation that a criminal from UP’s Ghazipur is running a gang and they were planning to loot a prominent jewellery shop in Lucknow too.

The STF has recovered 46 rings, four gold necklaces, ten lockets, two pairs of bracelets, precious stones, diamonds, Rs 5,27,400, 38 cartridges and two mobile phones from the accused.

Continue Reading


Four drown as boat capsizes in Assam, bodies recovered




Four persons, including two children, drowned after a boat capsized in the Brahmaputra river in eastern Assam’s Jorhat district, officials said on Wednesday. A magisterial inquiry has been ordered.

Jorhat Deputy Commissioner Roshni Aparanji Korati said that the mishap occurred on Tuesday when 14 persons out on a picnic went for a ride on a small country boat, which capsized probably due to overloading.

Onlookers rescued 10 passengers and took them to Jorhat Medical College and Hospital. The bodies of four missing persons were recovered by the state Disaster Response Force personnel near Baghmora picnic spot.

The deceased were identified as Paban Rai, 30, Rajiya Tigula, 24, Sahil Chauhan, 15, and Sufiyan Chauhan, 9.

“A magisterial inquiry report will be submitted within 15 days,” Korati told IANS on phone.

Area people alleged that boatmen occasionally overload their boats with visitors without taking adequate safety measures.

The Brahmaputra, the 9th largest river in the world, flows through Tibet, India and Bangladesh and is famous for its strong water current.

Continue Reading


Bihar BJP Spokesperson shot at by 3 unidentified assailants in Munger



Gun point

Bihar Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Spokesperson Afzar Shamshi was shot at by three unidentified assailants from close range in Bihar’s Munger district on Wednesday.

Munger Superintendent of Police (SP), Manavjit Singh Dhillon, told IANS that Shamshi received a gunshot injury in the lower back side of his head and was referred to Patna for treatment.

“We have arrested one person identified as Lalan Kumar Singh in connection with the case,” Dhillon said.

The incident took place at nearly 12.30 p.m. when Shamshi was on his way to Ramsakha Satyabhama Evening Inter College at Munger. Shamshi is a professor in this college and also has an influential role in its administration.

After reaching the college gate, Shamshi stepped out of his car and entered the college. At the same time three assailants fired three to four times at him and one of the bullets hit him in the lower back side of his head.

Shamshi fell to the ground in an unconscious state. The college’s staff rushed him to the Sadar hospital.

“Shamshi gave a statement and his condition is said to be stable. The Bihar BJP leader alleged that one of the college faculty identified as Lalan Kumar Singh is responsible for the attack. The accused pressured Shamshi to hand over the finance department of the college to him and also wanted other departments as well which led to a dispute between them,” Dhillon told IANS.

“We have arrested Lalan on charges of attempt to murder and criminal conspiracy and efforts are on to nab three other persons who were allegedly hired by him to execute the crime,” he added.

Following the incident, the BJP state President Sanjay Jaiswal, said he would talk to Director General Of Police (DGP) S.K. Singhal for speedy investigation in the matter. “The incident is extremely shocking and painful,” he added.

Maintaining law and order is turning out to be quite a challenge for the Bihar police with Indigo Airlines Bihar Chief Rupesh Kumar Singh being gunned down on January 12, an Agriculture official Ajay Kumar kidnapped and murdered on January 20, a youth killed in Patna city on January 26 and now the latest case of the BJP Spokesperson being shot at in Munger.

Continue Reading