Connect with us
Saturday,23-January-2021

International

Cricket Australia confirms charity partners for 2020-21 season

Published

on

Cricket Australia. (Photo: Twitter/@CAComms)

Cricket Australia has confirmed the 2020-21 Cricket Cares program, naming its official charity partners across matches for the season ahead which includes Day 5 gold coin donations during the upcoming Test series against India.

The Alannah & Madeline Foundation, McGrath Foundation, Movember and Taverners Australia will align to fixtures across the Women’s Big Bash League (WBBL) Finals and the men’s international calendar.

The fixtures will provide each charity partner with an opportunity to raise awareness for their respective areas, along with the opportunity to fundraise.

The 2019-20 season resulted in $3.15 million raised for the Australian Red Cross Disaster Relief and Recovery Fund through The Big Appeal, along with more than $780,000 being raised for various bushfire relief organisations. The Cricket Cares program also raised $1.69 million for its charity partners last season, Cricket Australia said in a media release.

Day 5 gold coin donations will continue this year after being permanently introduced in 2018-19, the last time India toured Australia, with all proceeds of entry to the ground going to the nominated charity partner.

Nick Hockley, Cricket Australia’s Interim CEO said, “We’re proud to continue our long-standing partnerships with the McGrath Foundation, Movember, the Alannah & Madeline Foundation and Taverners Australia,” Hockley said.

“As a sporting organisation, we believe we have a responsibility to raise awareness about these important causes, and in doing so raise much needed funds to help make a difference in the community. Having a presence at matches allows our charity partners to connect with fans and educate them about the life-changing work they do. We are grateful to the cricket community for supporting their fundraising efforts,” he added.

Australia are slated to face India in three ODIs, three T20Is and four Test matches beginning Friday in Sydney.

International

This is the peak of my career, says Alex Hales after England snub

Published

on

Alex Hales

England opener Alex Hales, who set the Big Bash League on fire on Friday with a 56-ball 110 for Sydney Thunder against Sydney Sixers, said that the England team management hasn’t got back to him as yet.

Hales, who is the leading run-getter in the Big Bash League 2020-21, with 462 runs in 12 innings at an average of 38.5, has not played for England since March 2019.

Hales’s effort on Friday came a day after the England selector Ed Smith said that the opening batsman may not come back to the national side in near future.

“No, nothing at all – nothing from that end (English selectors). At the moment, I’m just enjoying my cricket and I’m going to keep trying to score as many runs as I can, enjoying myself, and see what happens,” Hales was quoted as saying by ESPNcricinfo.com.

“Obviously that’s the peak of cricket, playing for your country. At the moment, I’m just going to focus on the process of scoring runs and enjoying my cricket, and if that’s the end result then brilliant,” he added.

“This is definitely the best I’ve played, I feel like it’s in the peak of my career. I’m 32 now and I feel like I know my game really well, and I’m just going to keep looking to impress whenever I get a chance. Particularly in T20 cricket, the older you get the more you understand what your strengths are,” Hales said.

England selector Smith had earlier said, “At the moment, I would expect things to stay as they are there. No doors are closed in terms of there’s no final decision. It’s not that it’s going to be the same indefinitely. But at the moment, if I had to make a prediction, I would say we’d stay as we are.”

England are due to play five T20 Internationals and three ODIs against India in India in March.

Continue Reading

International

Rishabh Pant should replace Iyer or Samson in India ODI, T20I squads: Brad Hogg

Published

on

Rishabh-Pant

Former Australia all-rounder Brad Hogg has called on the Indian selectors to include Rishabh Pant in India’s limited-overs squads saying that the batsman’s ability to play unconventional shots makes him difficult to bowl to.

“I would be putting him there right now because he has got the confidence and the belief. He has proven himself with two match-winning knocks in this Test series. You can’t get better than that playing for India on Australian soil. I would put him in place of Iyer. Keep your all-round options there for batting and bowling depth. He will be there for either Iyer or Sanju Samson,” said Hogg on his Youtube channel.

“He is hard to bowl to because he plays a variety of shots that are different to any other batsman. Get him in there,” added Hogg.

Pant scored 97 on the fifth day of the Sydney Test, helping India escape with a draw. He then made an unbeaten 89 on the fifth day of the Brisbane Test to help India win the match by three wickets and seal the series.

The former Chinaman bowler and left-handed batsman, however, backed Virat Kohli to continue as India skipper saying that any change in captaincy at the moment can affect India’s balance.

He said that removing Kohli from captaincy can affect his batting.

“He (Virat Kohli) bats better when he is the captain. I think if you change it, it would destroy the culture of that Indian team. It might affect Kohli’s batting. He wouldn’t want it to happen, but it will happen,” Hogg said.

“Yes, Ajinkya Rahane has done a fantastic job in the last three Tests in Australia. He is cool, calm and collected. He is quite decisive, and he doesn’t get agitated. He is a fantastic leader. But I will leave him as vice-captain because I think Virat Kohli leads from the front,” added Hogg.

Continue Reading

International

James Anderson picks 30th five-wicket haul, goes clear of McGrath

Published

on

James-Anderson

James Anderson picked his 30th five-wicket haul in Test cricket as he moved to sole sixth position among cricketers with most five-wicket hauls.

The right-arm England pace bowler, who was tied with Glenn McGrath in joint sixth position with 29 five-wicket hauls before this Test, removed Niroshan Dickwella for his fifth wicket in the Sri Lankan first innings during the second Test between the two teams at the Galle International Stadium.

He then got rid of Suranga Lakmal to get his sixth wicket of the innings.

Anderson had taken three of the four Sri Lankan wickets to fall on the first day.

He removed centurion Angelo Mathews early on second day, in just his first over of the morning. The former Sri Lanka captain edged one behind to wicket-keeper Jos Buttler.

Anderson is the fourth highest wicket-taker in Test cricket and the best among pace bowlers with 606 scalps. The 38-year-old pace bowler needs 14 more to get past leg-spinner Anil Kumble as the third highest wicket-taker in Test cricket.

Among pace bowlers, only Richard Hadlee has more five-wicket hauls (36) than Anderson in Test cricket.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending