Connect with us
Sunday,17-January-2021

Crime

CBI conducts raids in Bengal in illegal coal trade case

Published

on

CBI-Headquarters

The CBI on Wednesday carried out raids at 10 locations in West Bengal’s Asansol, Durgapur and Raniganj areas in connection with a case of illegal coal mining and theft from Eastern Coalfield Limited (ECL).

According to sources, around 75 CBI officials were engaged in the operation, that included searches at the houses of racket ‘kingpin’ Anup Majhi alias Lala and his accomplice Binoy Mishra’s relatives.

On Monday, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) had conducted raids at 12 locations across the state in connection with the coal scam, including searches at offices and residential addresses of businessman Ganesh Bagadia and Sanjay Singh.

The raids were conducted from Monday morning in Kolkata’s Lake Town area, Garia, Konnagar’s Kanaipur in Hoogly district, and North 24-Parganas in connection with the illegal trading of coal.

Bagadia and Singh were allegedly linked to Majhi, who runs the syndicate in connivance with Mishra.

On November 28 last year, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) Anti-Corruption Branch had conducted raids at 45 locations in West Bengal, Bihar, Jharkhand, and Uttar Pradesh in connection with the coal-smuggling racket.

The agency officials had raided the offices and homes of Majhi in Asansol, Durgapur, and Raniganj in Burdwan district, as well as at Bishnupur in Kolkata’s adjoining South 24-Parganas district.

Searches were also carried out at houses of some accomplices of Majhi, who runs his illegal operations at the open cast colliery belts along the Bengal-Jharkhand border.

Meanwhile, Income Tax officials also conducted a raid at the house and hotel of ex-legislator Mohammad Sohrab at Burrabazar area on Wednesday in connection with the cattle-smuggling racket in Bengal and disproportionate assets case, sources said.

Crime

6 killed as bus comes in contact with live wire in Rajasthan

Published

on

A total of six persons were killed and seven injured in Rajasthan’s Jalore district when a bus caught fire after coming in contact with a high tension wire of 11,000 volts, police said on Sunday.

The bus was on its way to Ajmer (and Beowar situated near it) from Nakoda pilgrimage on Saturday late night when the incident happened. The bus apparently lost its way while following the google map and reached a small village.

While making its way through the narrow lanes of the village, the bus came into contact with the high tension wire.

The conductor tried to remove the high tension wire, however the current soon passed into the bus through him, leaving six persons dead as the bus caught fire.

The deceased include the driver and the conductor

Seven of the injured were rushed to Jalore district hospital while the other injured were sent home after preliminary treatment.

Police officials told IANS that Jain families were on their way back to Ajmer and Beowar after offering prayers in the Nakoda temple. However, while following the Google map, the bus reached the Maheshpura village, seven kilometers from Jalore and was followed by another bus.

While one bus caught fire, the other bus following it stopped and passengers from this bus rushed to help after seeing the tragic accident.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot expressed their grief over the accident.

Continue Reading

Crime

2 BDOs, one JE suspended on corruption charges in Odisha

Published

on

Bribe

The Odisha government on Saturday suspended two block development officers (BDOs) and one junior engineer (JE) on charges of corruption in the Individual Household Latrines (IHHLs) programme.

Lariman Kharsel, BDO, Chitrokonda block in Malkangir district, Debendra Bahadur Singh Dharua, BDO, Jharigaon block in Nabarangpur district, and Sunil Samal, junior engineer in Jharigaon, have been placed under suspension, said an official order.

They were suspended by the Panchayati Raj department.

Kharsel was involved in gross irregularities in the execution of the IHHLs programme, while Bahadur and Samal were involved in alleged misappropriation of entitled funds for the IHHLs programme under the Swachh Bharat Mission.

Continue Reading

Crime

Palghar lynchings: Thane Court grants bail to 89 accused

Published

on

Mob-lynching

A Thane Special Court on Saturday granted bail to 89 accused in the April 2020 Palghar lynching case of two sadhus and their driver, a lawyer said here.

After hearing the arguments by Special Public Prosecutor Satish Maneshinde and defense counsels, Amrut Adhikari and Atul Patil on Jan. 6, the Special Judge S. B. Bahalkar allowed bail of Rs.15,000 each to the 89 accused.

Till date, the state CID has arrested 251 adults and 16 juveniles on various charges of rioting, attempt to murder, murder, etc for the lynching incident that sparked nationwide outrage on April 16 last year, at the height of the Covid-19 pandemic lockdown.

Till date, a total of 176 adults and 11 juveniles have been enlarged on bail while the bail applications of 36 more were rejected.

Arguing for bail last week, Adv. Adhikari contended that although the 89 accused were present at the scene of the crime, they had no role in the lynching tragedy.

On the fateful night of April 16 last year, two Sadhus – Kalpavrikshagiri Maharaj, 70, and his assistant Sushilgiri Maharaj, 35, besides their driver Nilesh Telgade, 30, were were proceeding from Kandivali suburb of Mumbai to attend a funeral in Surat, Gujarat.

Late that night, mistaking them to be kidnappers or human organ smugglers, a large mob of villagers and tribals stopped their vehicle near the Gadchinchale village.

The trio was dragged out of the vehicle and the huge crowd pounced on them with stones, sticks, rods, despite a handful of policemen who could not control the mob-rage as they were not armed.

After a massive furore, the case was transferred from the Palghar Police to the State CID which arrested the accused hailing from the nearby villages of Gadchinchale, Divshi, Udhna, Sukad, Ambad and also from other villages in the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli, which is barely 500 metres from the lynching site.

All the accused were booked under various provisions of Indian Penal Code, Public Property Damage Act, Criminal Law (Amendment) Act, while the juveniles were charged under the juvenile laws, and later the agency filed three separate chargesheets in the case.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending