British Prime Minister Theresa May will ask the European Union for an extension to the Brexit deadline to “break the logjam” in Parliament.
The Prime Minister says she wants to meet Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn to agree a plan on the future relationship with the EU, the BBC reported on Tuesday.
But she insisted her withdrawal agreement — which was voted down last week — would remain part of the deal.
May said she wanted the extension to be “as short as possible” — before May 22 so the UK does not have to take part in European elections.
The UK has until April 12 to propose a plan – which must be accepted by the EU – or it will leave without a deal.
The UK was supposed to leave the EU on March 29 but May agreed a short extension after realising Parliament would not agree a deal by the deadline.
MPs have twice held indicative votes to try to find a consensus, but none of the proposals won a majority.
May met her cabinet for more than seven hours on Tuesday, and afterwards gave a statement from Downing Street.
She said she wanted to agree a new plan with Corbyn and put it to a vote in the Commons before April 10 – when the EU will hold an emergency summit on Brexit.
If she and Corbyn do not agree a single way forward, she proposed putting a number of options to MPs “to determine which course to pursue”.
The Prime Minister said she understood some people were “so fed up with delay and endless arguments” they would prefer to leave without a deal, and she believed the UK “could make a success of no-deal in the long term”.
But she added that leaving with a deal was “the best solution”.
“This is a difficult time for everyone,” said May. “Passions are running high on all sides of the argument, but we can and must find the compromises that will deliver what the British people voted for.
“This is a decisive moment in the story of these islands and it requires national unity to deliver the national interest.”
WHO acknowledges Dharavi’s success over Covid-19
In a major to the BrihanMumbai Municipal Corporation and Maharashtra government’s morale, the World Health Organisation (WHO) has lauded their success over the Covid-19 outbreak in Dharavi – Asia’s largest slum.
WHO Director-General Tedros A. Ghebreyesus, at a press conference late on Friday, referred to the achievements made in the Dharavi among other similar examples globally.
“Even in Dharavi, a densely packed area in Mumbai, a strong focus on community engagement and the basics of testing, tracing, isolating and treating all those that are sick is key to breaking the chains of transmission, and suppressing the virus,” Ghebreyesus said.
In this context, he pointed out that there are many, many examples from around the world that have shown that even if the Covid-19 outbreak is very intense, it can still be brought back under control, as in Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, New Zealand, Italy, Spain and South Korea.
Responding quickly, the BMC said: “Thank You, WHO for acknowledging #Mission Dharavi where it partnered with citizens to ‘Chase the Virus’ from one of the most populous blocks of the city”.
“With your guidelines and Mumbai’s community efforts, we will beat Covid-19 one block at a time by Tracing, Tracking, Testing and Treating,” the BMC’s return tweet said.
Ghebreyesus also stressed the need for community participation and collective solidarity – akin to Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray’s appeal two days ago for forming Corona Vigilance Committees right down to the village levels, and asking NGOs to adopt Mumbai slums with public partnership to beat the Coronavirus.
Reacting to the WHO DG’s comments, Health Minister Rajesh Tope admitted that “we have worked very hard from day one along with the people of Dharavi” and even in Malegaon, Nashik, and now the results are showing in both places.
“It was an aggressive fight, surveillance of the population, early detection of symptoms, isolation in government quarantine centres in a huge way, all precautions like fogging the area regularly, disinfecting public toilets repeatedly daily, starting fever clinics, providing portable chest x-ray machines, temperature guns, etc, even in Malegaon,” Tope told IANS.
He said that in both places, “we have managed to flatten the curve, we don’t expect it to worsen any further, but we also can’t take chances so will continue to remain vigilant”.
Education Minister and MLA from Dharavi Varsha Gaikwad said she was “proud of all Dharavians.. as today they have set an example for the world.
“WHO has recognized and praised our efforts against this war (vis-A-vis) Corona… Let’s keep up the good work and we will fight in the strongest way,” a thrilled Gaikwad tweeted.
The WHO head also cautioned that from countries where there is exponential growth to places that are loosening restrictions, are “now starting to see cases rise”.
For this, Ghebreyesus assured that WHO will continue to work with partners to ensure that the poorest and most marginalized are prioritized.
“That means restarting routine immunization and ensuring that medical supplies reach health workers across the worlda Only aggressive action combined with national unity and global solidarity can turn the Covid-19 pandemic around,” Ghebreyesus asserted.
After the success in Dharavi — chronicled in a series of reports by IANS over the past three months — the model is being replicated in north Mumbai where there has been a huge spike in recent weeks with a public-private-partnership.
However, both Maharashtra and Mumbai have a long way to go yet as the state has 9,893 deaths and 238,461 cases while Mumbai stands at 5,205 fatalities and 90,461 cases till date.
Donald Trump expected to refile paperwork to end DACA program
US President Donald Trump is expected to refile paperwork this week to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program that offers protections for thousands of young immigrants and work lawfully.
White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows hinted in an interview on Monday that the President was readying executive action on immigration issues, but he did not offer specifics, reports Xinhua news agency.
The US Supreme Court, which ruled last month that the Trump administration failed to give an adequate justification for terminating the program as required by federal law, made clear that the President had the authority to rescind the program.
“We have to refile,” the President told Fox News days after the ruling.
“And everything’s going to work out for DACA and the young people, who aren’t so young, if you want to know the truth.”
DACA was established via an administrative memo in 2012 when Barack Obama was in office.
The Trump administration in 2017 rescinded DACA, which shields certain undocumented immigrants who came to the US as children from deportation.
The move was a central feature of the President’s initial efforts to restrict immigration upon taking office, The Hill news website said in a report on Monday.
Trump’s 2017 rescission of the program gave Congress six months to create a statutory replacement for DACA, while shutting down new applications and renewals, but without prematurely ending the two-year permits granted by the program.
It was unlikely that a new rescission would abruptly end benefits for current DACA recipients.
Trump has in recent weeks turned to immigration issues to appeal to his core supporters as he scuffles in polls, analysts observed.
If the Trump administration refiles this week, the new DACA policy will coincide with the official visit of Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador.
Mexico is the country of origin for a majority of DACA recipients.
Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi tests COVID-19 positive
Pakistan Foreign Minister Shah Mehmood Qureshi confirmed that he has tested positive for the novel coronavirus, but was feeling “strong and energetic”.
In a tweet on Friday, Qureshi said that he had a slight fever earlier on Friday and had immediately quarantined himself at home, reports Dawn news.
“I have now tested positive for COVID-19… I feel strong and energetic. I will continue to carry on my duties from home…”
Several politicians, including members of the ruling Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI), have been diagnosed with the virus over the past few months as it continues to spread in Pakistan.
Prominent political leaders who have contracted the virus so far include National Assembly Speaker Asad Qaiser, Sindh Governor Imran Ismail, PPP leader Saeed Ghani and Railways Minister Sheikh Rashid, all of whom have recovered.
In June, PML-N President Shehbaz Sharif had also tested positive for the virus.
Former Balochistan governor Syed Fazal Agha, PTI Punjab MPA Shaheen Raza, Sindh Minister for Human Settlements Ghulam Murtaza Baloch, MNA Munir Khan Orakzai and PTI’s Mian Jamshedud Din Kakakhel are among politicians who passed away after contracting the virus.
Pakistan, one of the worst hit South Asian countries, has so far reported 221,896 COVID-19 cases, with 4,551 deaths.
India’s corona cases near 8.5 lakh, death toll climbs to 22,674
3 siblings, upset after mother’s death, commit suicide
Sachin Pilot incommunicado, Congress trying for truce to save Rajasthan government
Riddhima Kapoor denies rumour of Neetu, Ranbir test corona positive
Maharashtra Governor self-isolates as staff members test corona positive
Actress Diana Penty: I’m usually not a love story kind of person
Dhoni film Fame Sushant Singh Rajput commits suicide in Bandra home
Maharashtra government extends lockdown till July 31
Eight policemen killed by gangster in Kanpur
Gangster Vikas Dubey ‘surrenders’ in Ujjain’s Mahakaal temple
Watch Video: Mentally Retarded Man Illegally Walks On Mumbai Airport’s Runway, Stopped Flight, CISF Arrested
Viral Video: Zomato Lady Abuses Traffic Police, FIR Filed In Vashi Police Station
Viral Video: Zomato Food Delivery Woman Abuses Traffic Police’s Towing Van Driver For This Reason!
Pal Pal Dil Ke Paas Teaser Review: Karan Deol And Sahher Bambba Chemistry Sparks
Mumbai Rains Update: Four Injured In Goregaon East Landslide, 400 People Evacuated From Kranti Nagar
Fashion2 years ago
Best Bridal Makeup Artists In Mumbai – 2018
General12 months ago
High Court Allowed Herbal flavour Hookah In Maharashtra
Crime2 years ago
SEBI Confirmed Heera Gold In Ponzi Scheme, ED, SFIO And EOW Probing The Case
Crime2 years ago
Watch Video: Heera Group Supporter Threatening Victims
Bollywood2 years ago
Aamir Khan says When I sign a film, I first look at the story
Business2 years ago
OPPO’s First Research and Development centre to open in Hyderabad
Crime11 months ago
Hindu Sena Wrote Letter To Modi Government To Ban Quran, Says It’s A Threat To National Security
Bollywood2 years ago
Rishi Kapoor calls British Airways As ‘racist’