Connect with us
Monday,17-January-2022

Crime

Arrested for wife’s suicide over dowry, Kerala government official sacked

Published

on

Crime

In a first of its kind action, a Kerala government official has been dismissed from service after he was arrested for the alleged suicide of his wife over dowry demands.

Transport Minister Antony Raju on Friday said this is the first time in Kerala that a state government employee has been dismissed from service after following due process.

“Through this decision, the accused official will not be able to get any government job now as per the rules and we did go by the rules and dismissed him from service. We are not looking into the ongoing police probe because we went by the rules that are applicable to Kerala government officials,” Raju added.

Twenty seven-year-old Kiran Kumar was arrested in June, days after his wife Vismaya, a final year Ayurveda student, hanged herself at her husband’s home in Kollam district.

It was revealed that Kumar was unhappy with the new car that was given to him along with 1.2 acre of land and 100 sovereigns of gold as dowry. This case has led to massive public outrage.

The couple got married last year.

Kiran Kumar harassed his wife as the new car worth Rs 10 lakh that was given to him gave low mileage and he wanted to sell it and buy a new luxury car.

Expressing happiness at the action taken by the Kerala government, Vismaya’s father thanked the government.

“When I asked Minister (Raju), that even though Kumar worked in his department, he did not come to our house he told me he will come only after Kumar is dismissed from service. He has kept his word. Even though I will never get back my daughter, this verdict is also going to be an eye-opener for all, that strong action will be taken against the accused,” said Vismaya’s father.

Kollam Lok Sabha member N.K. Premachandran, who is also a former Kerala Minister, said that if the dismissal has been done after going through all the laws then it’s fine.

“If not, it will boomerang and do more damage than good. I will wholeheartedly welcome this dismissal order and presume all the due process of law has been completed for dismissing the accused,” said Premachandran.

Kumar is currently in judicial custody.

Crime

2 Indians feared killed in drone attack in UAE, Houthi rebels claim responsibility

Published

on

By

Drone

 Yemen’s Houthi rebel group claimed responsibility for a “qualitative military operation” that struck areas deep inside the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in which three people were feared killed including two Indians.

Another person who died in the attack may be a Pakistani.

“An important statement will be announced in the upcoming hours to reveal details on the strategic operation deep inside the UAE,” said the group’s spokesman Yahya Saree in a brief press statement.

The Houthis’ claim just after three petroleum tankers exploded in a fire near the storage facilities of Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) in the UAE captial’s Musaffah industrial district, the official WAM news agency reported, citing an announcement of the Abu Dhabi police.

A minor fire also broke out in the new construction area of Abu Dhabi International Airport, according to the WAM.

Initial investigations show the fires and explosion were possibly caused by unidentified drones in the area, WAM said.

The UAE is an active member of the Saudi-led coalition which has been fighting a large-scale war against the Houthi rebel militia in various areas of Yemen.

The Saudi-led coalition intervened in the Yemeni conflict in 2015 to support the Yemeni internationally recognized government of President Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi after the Iran-backed Houthi militia forced him out of the capital Sanaa.

The Houthi militia has recently intensified cross-border drone and missile attacks against different Saudi cities. In February 2021, the Houthi militia launched a major offensive against the government army to capture the oil-rich province of Marib in central Yemen.

Continue Reading

Crime

Kerala HC allows to re-examine new witnesses in actress abduction case

Published

on

By

 In a further setback to actor Dileep, an accused on bail in the actress abduction case, the Kerala High Court on Monday allowed to re-examine three and summon 5 new witnesses in the ongoing trial.

The plea to this effect was filed by the state against the trial court’s order rejecting its request to re-examine witnesses after film director Balachandra Kumar made fresh statements related to the case, early this month.

The court on Monday asked to see that the entire exercise of adducing additional evidence be concluded in 10 days.

Besides, it also directed the Director General of Prosecution to see that a new Special Public Prosecutor is deputed or some other alternative arrangement is made to conduct the case on behalf of prosecution and ensure that the examination of the witnesses and production of the documents is done within a period of 10 days.

Incidentally, the trial in the case suffered a jolt when the special public prosecutor relinquished his post and this was the second time that such a thing has happened and now with a fresh order, a new counsel is expected to take over.

Things when it appeared to go smoothly for Dileep in the trial, turned topsy turvy when Kumar made an appearance and spilled the beans when he said that Dileep soon after being released on bail saw the visuals which showed the beleaguered actress who was kidnapped being physically attacked by her tormentors, while she was abducted.

Until this time it was only the trial court which had seen this and by now Kumar who made this and more disclosures has testified before the police and also a magistrate.

And based on these disclosures, the police probe team registered a fresh case and Dileep sensing that he might be arrested sought anticipatory bail, which will be heard on Tuesday and the state informed the court last week, that until this is heard, they will not arrest the actor.

Dileep was arrested in 2017 and lodged in prison in a case related to a gang sexually assaulting a frontline heroine of South Indian movies and filming the scenes.

After two months in jail, he was released on bail.

Continue Reading

Crime

3 killed as truck hits bike in Patna

Published

on

By

Accident

Three persons, including a woman, died after a speeding truck hit a bike in Patna on Monday morning.

The deceased were identified as Rita Devi (55), Pankaj Raut (25) and Sudama Raut (15). All of them were returning on the bike from Gaurichak to their native place in Fatuha. The victims had gone to Gaurichak on Sunday evening to fix the marriage of Rita’s son.

The accident took place due to low visibility in the Aman Bigha village under Shahjahanpur located on state highway 78. The impact of the accident was such that the bike tossed in the air and fell around 30 meters away from the spot.

“We have sent the dead bodies for the postmortem in Nalanda Medical College and Hospital. The errant driver managed to escape from the spot. We are making efforts to arrest the accused,” said an official of the Shahjahanpur police station.

Following the incident, local villagers blocked the road for two hours, which led to huge traffic snarls on state highway 78.

Continue Reading

Trending