Bollywood couple Angad Bedi and Neha Dhupia often post pictures of family outings on social media, but so far they have ensured that their two-year-old daughter Mehr’s face has never been exposed for th camera. Angad says this is their efforts as parents to protect the child from media scrutiny. However, when she grows up, she is free to be in the limelight if she wants to.
“I get many requests from fans to see her picture and I feel that everyone wants to see her. She is her own person. She is two right now and may be when she is five or six years old, she will ask us why we are not putting her picture out. That can be asked to us. We just want to secure her and if in future she is comfortable with having her imagery out, we are no one to question that. Till the time she is okay with it, we would like to protect her,” Angad tells IANS.
He continues: “There is a situation where pictures get tracked too much and get impressionable. There is too much pressure and we want to keep her away from that but in the coming years she is okay with that pressure, we are not going to challenge that too.”
The actor, who has been part of films such as “Pink”, “Soorma” and “The Zoya Factor”, adds: “I think you have to protect your family, which I try and do to the best of my ability but we have to also understand that we are part of a celebrated profession, which is going to be bound by media scrutiny. I feel if we are okay with positivity, we should also be okay with this aspect too, which at a lot of level Neha and I are. We are just trying to protect her till the time she builds her own understanding. The day she starts understanding, we will not have a problem.”
With the advent of smartphones, many fans follow their idols for selfies. Actors happily oblige at times, but they also leave without entertaining fans at times. Angad doesn’t support this behaviour.
“Our profession is to be seen. We work hard to be seen and when people (other actors) start getting noticed, they wear their shades and hide their faces. You should be glad that people want to take your picture and you are a person people want to see. You are in a profession where you have to be seen,” he says.
“My point is when you work so hard to get recognised through your work. Lot of people don’t get pictures or sign autographs and complain that it’s too crowded. You have worked too hard all the years to gather this crowd and when it is finally happening , then you are complaining. If people are investing their time to see you, then you should be happy investing in them because you have worked all your life to get invested in,” the actor shares.
Australian Open: Nadal begins quest for 21st Grand Slam with easy opening-round win
Spanish tennis stalwart Rafael Nadal began his quest for a 21st Grand Slam — and his second Australian Open title in 13 years — dismissing world No. 66 Marcos Giron of the US 6-1, 6-4, 6-2 to advance to the second round at Melbourne Park on Monday.
Enjoying a trouble-free opening round, the 2009 Australian Open champion seemed to have recovered fully from the left-foot injury which had forced the 35-year-old to miss the Wimbledon, the Tokyo Olympics and the US Open last year.
The Spaniard has improved to 4-0 for the year, having won his 89th title at the Melbourne Summer Set in week one. The winner of a record 13 title at Roland Garros, Nadal dropped just eight points on his first serve and slammed 34 winners, including seven aces in his opening-round win.
“It’s been a very challenging few months… tough moments with a lot of doubts– there still are doubts (about the foot injury having healed completely),” Nadal said after the match. “But I am here and I can’t be happier to be back in Australia in this amazing stadium,” he was quoted as saying by atptour.com.
“You never know when you come back from injury, which unfortunately I have a lot of experience with, how things will be, so you have to take it day by day. You have to forgive yourself if things aren’t going the proper way.”
Nadal is also attempting to become just the second man after Serbian world No. 1 Novak Djokovic to win all four majors at least twice. He is also trying to become the third man in the Open Era to win the Australian Open after turning 35 after Swiss master Roger Federer and Australian great Ken Rosewall.
Next up for the 20-time Grand Slam champion is the winner of Adelaide International 2 champion Thanasi Kokkinakis of Australia and Germany’s Yannick Hanfmann.
Australian Open: Contrasting first-round wins for teenager Alcaraz and Shapovalov
Spanish teenager and last year’s US Open quarterfinalist Carlos Alcaraz lived up to his status as a first-time Grand Slam seed as the world No. 31 scored a 6-2, 6-2, 6-3 win over Chilean qualifier Alejando Tabilo on Day One of the Australian Open here on Monday.
The 18-year-old Alcaraz’s first serves proved too much for the 24-year-old Tabilo, who was making his second Grand Slam main-draw appearance, as the Spaniard put his game on full display after an offseason spent on improving his skills.
“I felt really good,” said Alcaraz after the match. “I didn’t expect that this first match was going to be really good for me. I played a great level the first match of the season. Really good feelings… hope the next matches are going to be the same.”
With Alcaraz at No. 31 and Tabilo at No. 135, it was never going to be an easy job for the latter and the gap in the rankings showed as the Spaniard advanced comfortably after the pair traded early breaks.
Alcaraz went on a six-game winning streak to wrestle away control. The Spaniard built his opening-round game on intense aggression from the baseline, but he also deftly mixed well-placed returns in building the lead.
Alcaraz faced just one break point in the match, while breaking seven times in 16 chances of his own.
“I’m starting to get more comfortable on hard court than on clay courts,” said Alcaraz. “I think the most tournaments of the year are on hard court, so you have to be ready.”
Alcaraz enters the new year on the heels of a breakout year that also saw him reach the US Open quarterfinals, win his first ATP title (Umag) and break into the ATP’s top-40 for the first time. Alcaraz had started the 2021 season inside the top-150.
This season, his goals include reaching the top-15 and playing in the Nitto ATP Finals.
“It’s a really good goal for me, but so difficult as well,” he said.
With the top quarter of the Australian Open draw now missing world No. 1 Novak Djokovic, Alcaraz will take on Dusan Lajovic of Serbia, who defeated Marton Fucsovics of Hungary 6-3, 4-6, 6-1, 6-7(6), 6-1. One step further, No. 7 seed from Italy Matteo Berrettini looms as a potential third-round opponent.
Less than a fortnight after helping Canada win the ATP Cup, Denis Shapovalov survived a first-round matchup against Croatia’s Laslo Djere. After being two points away from a fifth set, the Canadian advanced in four, 7-6(3), 6-4, 3-6, 7-6(3). Djere had an opportunity to serve for both the first and fourth sets, but each time the No. 14 Canadian seed denied him.
“I felt like the fourth set was slipping away from me after that set point,” Shapovalov said in his on-court interview. “But I’m very happy with the outcome.
“He did a great dob to come back from two sets to none,” Shapovalov was quoted as saying by atptour.com. “He changed his tactics, tried to go for it more and was very tricky.”
Next up for the Canadian is South Korea’s Soonwoo Kwon, who edged past Holger Rune of Denmark 3-6, 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 6-2.
Farhan Akhtar recounts training with Rashtriya Rifles soldiers for ‘Mission Frontline’
Bollywood actor-director Farhan Akhtar will be featuring along with director and producer Rohit Shetty in the show ‘Mission Frontline’. Farhan will be seen training hard while spending a day with soldiers of the Rashtriya Rifles.
Speaking of his overall training experience, Farhan said: “If I could express the feeling in one word, it would be humbling for me. Back when we were filming ‘Lakshya’, we went up close and personal with the lives of our jawans, but stepping into their shoes and experiencing the hardships they go through on-ground is a life-changing experience.”
The actor-director shares further about the difficulties faced by him during the training in tough terrain and weather conditions.
“It was extremely difficult for me to get trained in such tough terrain and weather conditions, but their support and encouragement made it possible. It is an honour to have got the chance to be a part of discovery+’s ‘Mission Frontline’.”
‘Mission Frontline’ will premiere on January 20 on discovery+.
Kerala HC allows to re-examine new witnesses in actress abduction case
3 killed as truck hits bike in Patna
ECI holds meet to review request to defer Punjab polls
Maharashtra Veteran PWP leader Prof N.D. Patil dies at 93
Bombay HC rejects BJP MLA Nitesh Rane’s anticipatory bail plea
IL&FS completes sale, transfer of Moradabad Bareilly Expressway to its InvIT
Dance bar issue raised in Maharashtra Assembly
2 terrorists killed in encounter at Awantipore in J&K
Maha warns of massive spike in Covid-19 cases, deaths
J&K man found dead in south Delhi
Business2 years ago
STPI-registered IT cos log Rs 4.21 lakh cr of exports in FY20
Business2 years ago
Bank of India Q2 profit Rs 266 crore as bad loan provisions fall
Maharashtra2 years ago
CM Uddhav Thackeray to decide on suspending Mumbai local trains
Business1 year ago
Target to make India a manufacturing hub of construction equipment: Nitin Gadkari
General2 years ago
Not satisfied, Sunni Waqf board lawyer Zafaryab Jilani on Ayodhya verdict
Maharashtra2 years ago
Allow Bakri-Eid with restrictions: Maharashtra Congress to CM
Business1 year ago
Amazon starts selling car, bike insurance in India
Business2 years ago
PSB loan disbursal picks up pace, rise to Rs 12K cr under ECLGS