Connect with us


7 die in Andhra Pradesh Covid care centre fire



7 die in Andhra Covid care centre fire.

In a shocking incident, seven persons were killed in a fire that broke out at a paid Covid Care Centre run from a hotel by a private hospital here early Sunday morning, officials said.

Officials earlier said three persons had died in the mishap, while four others were shifted to a hospital. With four more casualties, the death toll had increased to seven at the time of filing of the report. The victims included two women.

Police officials did not rule out more casualties in the early morning fire as the condition of two of the centre’s staff, who jumped from the first floor to escape, is said to be serious.

Around 50 persons, including 30 coronavirus patients, were reported to be present at the Covid treatment facility set up at Hotel Swarna Palace when the tragedy struck.

City Police Commissioner Srinivasa Rao said that the fire broke out around 5 am.

According to initial information, suffocation due to smoke emanating from the fire is said to have caused most casualties.

Firefighters were rushed to the spot who rescued the treatment centre’s inmates with the help of ladders and rushed them to nearby hospitals in 15 ambulances.

Preliminary investigation found that a short circuit was the likely cause of the fire that started on the ground floor of the building. It later spread to the first floor that had been converted into a Covid care centre.

Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy expressed shock and sorrow over the incident and ordered an inquiry.

State Endowments Minister Vellampalli Srinivas, who represents Vijayawada West Assembly constituency, visited the spot and supervised rescue operations.

The Minister said the inquiry will look into whether it was an accident or failure on part of the hospital management.

Sunday’s fire accident is the latest in a series of mishaps to strike Andhra Pradesh in the last few months.

In May, a gas leak in Visakhapatnam at LG Polymers had left 12 persons dead. Recently, 12 persons had died after consuming sanitisers due to alcohol addiction.


Terrorist killed in encounter in South Kashmir




One terrorist was killed in an encounter that broke out between terrorists and security forces in South Kashmir’s Pulwama district on Thursday, officials said.

The firefight started in Pulwama’s Maghama after security forces cordoned off the area and launched a search operation on the basis of a specific information about the presence of terrorists.

As the security forces zeroed in on the spot where the terrorists were hiding they came under a heavy volume of fire that triggered the encounter.

“Encounter has started in Maghama area of Tral, Awantipora. One unidentified terrorist killed. Police and security forces are on the job,” police said.

Continue Reading


Madras High Court grants 30 day parole to Rajiv Gandhi’s assassin Perarivalan




The Madras High Court on Thursday granted 30-day parole to Perarivalan, an assassin of former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.

The parole was granted on a petition filed by Perarivalan’s mother Arputhammal citing his health condition and also at a time when inmates at Puzhal jail have been testing positive for the coronavirus.

Seven people were convicted in the killing of Rajiv Gandhi — A.G. Perarivalan, V. Sriharan alias Murugan, T. Suthendraraja alias Santhan, Jayakumar, Robert Payas, Ravichandran and Nalini Sriharan, wife of V. Sriharan.

All the convicts are in prison since 1991, the year a woman LTTE suicide bomber blew up herself, killing Rajiv Gandhi on the spot at an election rally near Chennai.

The Tamil Nadu government has passed a resolution for the release of all the convicts, but the Governor is yet to take a decision on the matter.

Continue Reading


Dalit teen gang raped, names 4 upper caste men




A 19-year-old Dalit girl from Uttar Pradesh has been allegedly gang raped by four upper caste men who also have tried to strangulate her.

The girl has been admitted to an intensive care unit (ICU) in Aligarh medical college. She managed to give her statement to the police days after the incident and has stated that she was raped by four upper caste men on September 14 when she had gone to collect fodder for animals.

Earlier, based on her brother’s complaint, the police had booked a man identified as Sandeep for attempt to murder and under the provisions of the SC/ST Act. The accused was arrested and remanded to judicial custody after the family alleged that he had tried to kill the girl over some old enmity.

On Tuesday after the girl’s statement, rape charges were added to the FIR and three more people were booked. “One more accused has been held and others, too, will be arrested soon,” Hathras SP Vikrant Vir, said.

Additional SP Prakash Kumar said the girl’s statement under section 161 of CrPC was not recorded earlier by the investigating officer as the girl had been in the ICU after she was referred to Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College in Aligarh from Hathras district hospital. He said the charge sheet would be filed soon.

Uttar Pradesh Congress Committee Vice President Deepak Kumar met the survivor and alleged that the family was being threatened by the accused as well as the police.

He said that he would give a detailed report on the matter to party General Secretary Priyanka Gandhi and party state chief Ajay Kumar Lallu.

Congress leader Sheoraj Jivan Valmiki, who also reached Hathras on Wednesday to meet the survivor’s family members, has demanded action against police officers for delay in recording the statement, adding that injustice to the members of the Dalit community would not be tolerated.

Continue Reading