Connect with us
Tuesday,25-January-2022

International

1st Test: Had to learn to hold back some shots: K.L. Rahul on his revival

Published

on

KL-Rahul

Time outside the Test playing XI has provided opportunity to clear cluttered mind, said K.L. Rahul, who hit 84 as opener to guide India to a 95-run first innings lead over England in the ongoing first Test here.

“I used to have lots of doubts in my mind on the shots I play — 2-3 different shots for every ball even in red ball cricket. So that was something I realised I had to learn to control,” said Rahul, who had last played a Test match in August-September, 2019.

“When the wicket is challenging or we are playing against a good bowler or when the ball is swinging, we need to hold back some shots — so those are the things I tried to work on and those were the learnings from when I was not playing Test cricket,” added Rahul on Friday night.

Rahul’s failures in England in 2018, although he scored a century in the fifth and final Test at The Oval, had put a question mark on his ability to bat especially in the opening position.

Prior to the tour of England, he was earmarked for the middle-order. In fact, former India selector Gagan Khoda had told IANS recently that he thought middle-order is the ideal place for him.

Given an opportunity to bat at No. 5 in the warm-up match, Rahul scored a century against County Select XI last month.

“Anything that I have learnt over the last two years is be ready to do anything. I have been asked to do different roles a lot of times and I enjoyed doing them and this was another opportunity for me to go out there and challenge myself,” he told media.

“Obviously, [in] the Test cricket that I have played so far, I have opened the batting so that is something that I have done all my life. It wasn’t something new, I knew how to go about the innings and how to build an innings. So I wanted to go out there and grab the opportunity and make the most of it,” he added.

The time outside, as he mentioned, helped him in shot selection.

“Sitting outside, watching the games, watching batsmen score runs was good enough for me. In any format, it is important that your shot selection is spot on. So yeah, happy that I could go out there and show discipline and get my team to a good start and put them in a good position.”

The 29-year-old Karnataka batsman said that he has been taught to be an all-condition player right since childhood.

“I am a strong believer that in a team sport you have to be ready to do whatever the team asks you to do. That is how I was taught cricket. That is how I was raised by my coaches in junior days. You need to be an all-condition player, you need to be an all-format player, you need to be able to perform for your team in whatever position your team needs you to. So, yeah, I take it as a challenge and I enjoy it. Sometimes it comes off, sometimes it doesn’t. But it always makes you learn a lot about your batting and about yourself. I am happy I always get challenge.”

International

Australia to tour Pakistan with a full-strength squad, says George Bailey

Published

on

By

Chief selector George Bailey on Tuesday confirmed that no Australian player has asked to be left out of the squad that is set to embark on their first tour of Pakistan since 1999.

Bailey added that the selection will be solely based on managing their workload.

“I believe the boards are still working through some of the minor details around that tour, so once that gets the formal tick of approval then we’ll announce the squad post that, but we’re reasonably well down the track,” Bailey was quoted as saying by Cricket Australia’s website.

“The two (security) briefings that I’ve sat in on, the security sounds very, very robust.”

The tour is set to start on March 3. It will consist of three Test matches to be played in Karachi, Rawalpindi and Lahore and will be followed by a three-match ODI series from March 29 to April 2. A lone T20I will be played on April 5.

The last time Pakistan had an ICC event on its soil was when it co-hosted the 1996 World Cup along with India and Sri Lanka. The terrorist attack on the Sri Lankan team bus in 2009 ensured Test cricket remained out of bounds until 2019.

In 2020, before the T20 World Cup, New Zealand and England had pulled out of the tour of Pakistan citing security concerns.

Continue Reading

International

Hockey: France join Men’s Pro League, to start campaign against India on Feb 8

Published

on

By

Canada have withdrawn from the Men’s FIH Pro League due to the Covid-19 pandemic and the International Hockey Federation (FIH) has called up France to take place in the third edition of the Series. France will take on India in their opening match on February 8.

“After Canada eventually pulled out due to Covid-related issues, FIH had contacted the next best teams, according to the FIH World Rankings, to invite one of them to replace Canada. France have accepted the invitation and, as the highest-ranked team having done so, will join the global home-and-away league for this season,” the FIH informed in a release on Tuesday.

As Canada, along with South Africa had been included in the men’s FIH Pro League in place of Australia and New Zealand, who had pulled out last year citing Covid-19 related travel restrictions by their respective countries. As Canada and South Africa were included only for the ongoing third edition of the Pro League, France too will participate in the current edition and will be left out once Australia and New Zealand return to the field for the fourth edition in 2023.

“As communicated earlier, France’s participation in the FIH Hockey Pro League is planned for this third edition only. Indeed, Australia and New Zealand, who are not playing the current season due to Covid-related international travel constraints, are expected to come back for the fourth edition (2022-2023),” the FIH release said.

French, who will host the next Olympics in Paris in 2024, will play their first match on February 8 against India, in Potchefstroom, South Africa, and meet the Netherlands on February 9.

France have qualified for the next Men’s World Cup, which will be played in January 2023 in Bhubaneswar and Rourkela. The French Men’s Junior team recently claimed the bronze medal in the Men’s Junior World Cup in Bhubaneswar, with France captain Timothée Clément crowned Best Player of the Tournament.

“It is great news that France are joining the FIH Hockey Pro League for the current season. As hosts of the next Olympic Games, being part of such a top-flight competition involving the best teams in the world can only be a positive move for the French team as well as for the growth of hockey in the country,” FIH CEO Thierry Weil was quoted as saying in the statement.

The first FIH Hockey Pro League matches of the year will involve the women’s teams of China and India. They will take place on January 31 and February 1 in Muscat, Oman, where both teams are currently playing the women’s Asia Cup 2022.

Continue Reading

International

Sune Luus to lead South Africa in West Indies ODIs

Published

on

By

All-rounder Sune Luus will lead the 18-member South Africa women’s squad against West Indies in a five-match ODI series starting January 28, the Cricket South Africa (CSA) confirmed on Tuesday.

The 26-year old Luus will lead a side that is missing senior players — regular captain Dane Van Niekerk (ankle injury) as well as Lizelle Lee (Covid). Chloe Tryon will serve as Luus’ deputy in the series.

“Sune has really managed the captaincy quite well in the absence of our leaders, Dane and Chloe, and we are quite excited to be giving her the role again and in our conversations with her, she really rolled out the pathway for us, getting through the West Indies tour and for the World Cup,” said Clinton du Preez, Convenor of Selectors.

“We are quite happy to have her back in that role and I am sure the leadership and the senior players in the team will give her massive support. Chloe as the vice-captain is a great combination between the two individuals and personalities and we think it will be a balanced approach for our successes,” he added.

The squad also includes key players such as Shabnim Ismail, Mignon du Preez as well as Laura Wolvaardt, who was the second-highest run-scorer (161) when the two teams last faced each other.

Meanwhile, off-spinner Raisibe Ntozakhe is among those picked in the squad. The 25-year-old hasn’t been featured for South Africa since 2018 when she was suspended from bowling in international games owing to her then illegal action. She has recently been cleared to bowl.

“It’s greatly important for us to fill the vacancy of Dane van Niekerk, and therefore we looked at a few options. It is also quite exciting to have Raisibe Ntozakhe back in the squad and for her to be playing international cricket again, it will be a great opportunity for her to revive her career,” du Preez said.

“We are quite comfortable with the squad we have selected. It’s a balanced squad and we have gone for an extended squad to give more players an opportunity to ensure that we complement the skill sets within the team.

“With the conditions up in Johannesburg, it will suit us to play against the West Indies. They are normally used to the slow, turning wickets and for now, it is a great opportunity to strike with our bowlers and to also have a balanced approach to those results,” he added.

The five-match ODI series in Johannesburg serves as a World Cup preparation for the South Africa side looking to better their semi-final show from five years ago. The two sides met in a five-match series in the Caribbean last August, a series South Africa clinched by a dominant 4-1 margin.

Squad: Sune Luus (c), Chloe Tryon (vc), Andrie Steyn, Anneke Bosch, Ayabonga Khaka, Lara Goodall , Laura Wolvaardt, Marizanne Kapp, Masabata Klaas, Mignon du Preez, Nadine de Klerk, Nonkululeko Mlaba, Raisibe Ntozakhe, Shabnim Ismail, Sinalo Jafta, Tazmin Brits, Trisha Chetty, Tumi Sekhukhune

Continue Reading

Trending